Saturday, June 02, 2007

June 5 Primary

When I was a fulltime reporter covering Plainfield, people would ask me, “Who do you think will win the election?”

My stock answer was, “Ask me on Wednesday.”

This was partly because reporters are not supposed to express opinions. We leave that up to the editorial page writers.

Blogging is different and has no rules except those self-imposed on the blogger.

Plaintalker set out to be spin-free, primarily offering factual information for the reader. The blog did not start until after the 2005 primary. In the turbulence of the rest of 2005, my former blog partner and I did not always agree on how to proceed. My view is that Plaintalker should not endorse candidates or show support for individuals before Election Day.

On Wednesday, I think an analysis of the outcome is fair.This year is unique in that there are more blogs than ever about Plainfield, including two by the primary contenders themselves. The Second Ward’s 2,250 registered Democrats have plenty of information on which to base their selection. The Crescent Area Neighborhood Association even held a forum featuring the two Democrats and the Republican the winner will face in November.

Polls will be open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday. Each voter should have received a sample ballot by now that indicates the polling place. The ballot also includes candidates for the Democratic City Committee in each voting district. On the Monday following the election, the committee will choose a chairman to serve for two years.

As for what I think about the election … ask me on Wednesday.

Bernice Paglia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home