Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Travel Tale

Court authorities said the Don Davis trial was to start at 4 p.m. Wednesday, so I planned to take the 3:20 p.m. No. 59 bus to Scotch Plains. My errand at City Hall went quicker than I thought, so I arrived at the bus stop early. A good thing too, because the bus was nine minutes early!

So I got to Scotch Plains a little before 3:30 p.m., with time to spare for admiring the new landscaping around the Municipal Building.

At 4 p.m., we were told the trial would start at 5 p.m. For some reason, I had hopes of a speedy session and thought maybe I could catch the 5:29 p.m. bus back to Plainfield. But as we sat and waited, the 5:59 bus passed. Things were just starting when the 6:31 bus went by.

Periodically I checked the schedule. Oops, the 7:07, 7:22, 8:02 and 9:02 passed through Scotch Plains and the trial was still going on. There was just one bus left, at 10:02. Instead of a quick 10-minute ride home, I was envisioning either a very long walk or camping out on the newly-landscaped grounds.

Maria, who had stopped in earlier and left after the trial dragged on and on, magically reappeared as the session ended around 9:15 and whisked me back to the Queen City in her truck. Liberte, egalite, sororite! The sisterhood of bloggers saved the day!

--Bernice Paglia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home