Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Senior Center Update

The construction fence is up, the earth is being moved at 400 East Front Street, site of the new senior center and 63 condos. While I was there Wednesday morning, the big shovel hit something that produced puffs of white dust or smoke. Notice the worker peering into the hole to see what it was. Maybe a metal tank?

Meanwhile, at 305 East Front Street, a big crowd was waiting for vouchers for fresh fruit and vegetables. Center employees expected about 200 people to sign up.
I asked member Betty Carson, 67, how she felt about seeing the start of construction.
"Right now, I have confidence that it is going to happen," she said. "I'm very happy. I wasn't sure I would live to see it."
Those who completed the paperwork for their vouchers had only to step outside behind the center to make their selections. Each eligible person got four $5 vouchers for the fresh produce.
--Bernice Paglia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home