Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Peter Carter's Letter

After reading Interim Superintendent Peter Carter’s September letter to students, I printed two copies and did as he suggested, hailing down two neighbor children off their bikes and reading a portion to them.

“I have a very special message for those pupils in grades four and five,” Carter wrote.

Both boys are entering fifth grade.

“These are very important grades and you are very important people. The work gets a little more difficult and more is asked of you than before.

“I know that you can do the work and be very successful. I know that because of how good you are with your X-Boxes and other electronic and technical devices which you use so well,” I read aloud.

At this, one boy’s eyes lit up and he smiled at the other. It was obvious he felt personally recognized as well as praised.

I finished reading, although each could have read it for himself. I was glad to have shared the moment, for I, too, have hopes for these boys that are not kin, but whom I have gotten to know through their many visits to our yard. Both have grown socially, emotionally and academically through their experiences in the Plainfield school district.

The boys stuffed the letters into their pockets and got back on their bikes. I hope they read them at home with their parents as well.

Carter’s avuncular tone is reassuring, but it is his insight into the minds of young people that clinches the deal, if there is a pact to be made for the 2007-08 school year. Read the letter here and judge for yourself.

--Bernice Paglia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home