Sunday, November 25, 2007

A Theater Experience Right Here

As publicity person for the First Unitarian Society of Plainfield, I sent out a press release and wrote a feature story for the Courier News about Joe DiPietro's play, "Over the River and Through the Woods," about an Italian family's need to keep family close despite the temptations of fancy jobs and new opportunities.

Someone at church asked me whether I was planning to see the play and I demurred, saying I was not a theater person. But then I was intrigued by my own story about attorney Renato Biribin, who received the gift of acting lessons from his family on his 60th birthday, reviving a youthful ambition.

So my neighbor and I went to see the play today and found it completely enjoyable. We only had to walk across Municipal Lot 7 to get there, but it's worth a trip from anywhere. Tickets are $15 and performances will take place at 8 p.m. on Nov. 30 and Dec. 1 at the church, 724 Park Ave.

Church member Art Lieberman took the cast photo above, which features L-R: Sheila Harding of Plainfield, John Boucher of Somerset, Victor Lucariello of Union, Michelle Morin of South Plainfield, Jean Dembaugh of New Providence and Renato Biribin of South Plainfield.

The Act IV company is carrying on one of the longest community theater traditions in Plainfield and is definitely a city asset.

--Bernice Paglia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home