Thursday, January 03, 2008

The Rubberstamp Syndrome

When I was a poor single housewife in the 1970s, one of my minor thrills was to put rubber stamps on envelopes to all my creditors. Some may recall the rubber stamp and mail art movement of that era, which gave excitement to many daily activities such as paying bills.

I had lots of rubber stamps that served to express my interests and ideas. Every time I pressed one on an envelope or postcard, I felt empowered ( a 1970s concept of individuality).

But today, the image above reminds me of Plainfield's traditional political adage that a city power broker must only be able to count to four to make things happen (or not happen) in the city.


Right now, rubber stamps remind me of another meaning - the mindless approval of one person's point of view dominating the dialogue on public events.

Must my elected representatives be required to rubber-stamp decisions of party leaders?

I hope not.


--Bernice Paglia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home