Saturday, November 29, 2008

In From the Wild

One little feral cat has decided to embrace civilization, such as it is. He permitted me to pet him and stand guard while he ate, fending off his food-snatching buddies. When he clawed his way up my jeans leg to sit on my lap, I knew he had acquiesced to a different life.

In collaboration with a neighbor who knows the ways of cats, I got him to a vet about a week ago. At about six months, he weighed in at 2.9 pounds. Since agreeing to live temporarily in my extremely humble abode, he has gained 8/10 of a pound and may have to be re-named from "Mousie" for his runt status to a more suitable moniker for a handsome young kitty.

Mousie outside was a forlorn little creature, often sitting alone in the vast expanse of the driveway with no ambition or playfulness. Inside, he has proven to be conversational, curious and given to drama when confronting a crumpled paper ball or a crocheted spider.

Although I continue to protest that I am not currently capable of nurturing any higher form of life than a house plant, some people are insisting that Mousie was meant to be my companion. We'll see.

--Bernice Paglia

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. Mousie Paglia -- it does have a certain ring to it!

You can't fight LOVE Bernice!

LOL,
Renata

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bernice:
Me and my daughters used to feed him but than he disappeared. Good to know he's in good hands. He's a very sweet cat and loved being pet. Thanks for taking him in Bernice. We were worried that a he had met a terrible fate.

1:37 PM  
Blogger olddoc said...

Welcome to the world of cat minions.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Hughes ap Williams said...

Mousie will also provide you with great posts when "the world is too much with [you].*

Now that you've gained a cat you might enjoy www.timegoesby.net where Ronni Bennett blogs about "what it's really like to get older" - and occasionally her cat Ollie.

*Thanks to William Wordsworth.

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to Mousie's "staff," Bernice. I'm sure you'll be happy as you start a life with your new company. (Working for yourself gets old anyway.)

cw

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home