Friday, February 27, 2009

Revelations, Downtown and Otherwise

Today after going to the very friendly and refurbished PNC Bank downtown, I proceeded on to West Front Street. This demolished tree was one of my first sights.

This building facade sports a message from way back when there was some sort of game thing going on, or whatever. Who knows.

In my great taxi experiment since ditching my car, I have never tried any company but Liberty. So when their Church Street office closed, I wondered if they were still in business. Yes, they are, in one of the Park-Madison office buildings store fronts.
Having not traversed West Front Street between Somerset and Madison recently, I was surprised at the number of day laborers standing around at about 11:30 a.m. I had hoped to see whether any signage existed on the new proposal for the first commercial development in eight years (aka the Cretella proposal to redevelop the Appliance-Arama building and two adjacent city-owned lots) , but the sight of several dozen labor hopefuls on the block distracted me.
Oops! Some of the stamped sidewalk blocks are disintegrating.
And later to top off all the revelations, Plaintalker found the city web site now includes information on Mayor SRB, whose CV was up until recently was non-existent and eclipsed by that of her confidential aide! Woo-hoo!
--Bernice Paglia

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope your readers will attend the Economic Growth meeting being headed by Cory Story on Monday from 5-7pm at the City Hall Library.

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bernice,

Great photos. Why not take photos of the unsecured buildings on North Avenue? If you can get to the rear of some of these buildings, you will see roofs are missing. What a grand story that would make! Some questions: Why isn't Oscar Turk & his boss Jenny Maier enforcing the property maintenace code? Why is the NJ Transit Row a pigsty? PMUA & Public Works denying responsibility for keeping it clean. So where is Oscar Turk and code enforcement. Looks like Green/Briggs picked another loser. So why would a developer want to invest in this city? The appearance stinks.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Jackie S. said...

I wondered what happened to Liberty Taxi. I knew the cars were still around but I was no longer being almost run over on the sidewalk by the gas station as they zoomed through to enter the one way Church Street from Second St.

Isn't the Wizard kind of cool? I spotted that about five years ago and took a photo of it from another angle. If memory serves, the mailbox on the building was rather cryptic as well.

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home