Tuesday, August 25, 2009

About the Butterfly Garden

My paltry computer talents so far have not allowed me to link slide shows with commentary. The Butterfly Garden depicted below is at Grace Episcopal Church. I had hoped to weed it before the Carillon Concert, but the heat and humidity did me in.

Maria and I took a look at it after the concert and I was guilt-ridden enough to clear it out today, while The Man Who Cuts the Grass was cutting the grass.

The garden includes Butterfly Weed, Butterfly Bush, Purple Coneflower, Impatiens, Asters, Turtlehead, Coreopsis, Alyssum, Blazing Star, Bergamot, Sedum and many others, although aggressive weeds tried to join in. Some of the weeds were so tall and impressive that one had to know their heritage in order to pull them up. Goodbye to Mares' Tails, Crab Grass and Yellow Oxalis!

The Rev. Carolyn Eklund wrote many months ago of her vision for a community garden where people could come and sit, meditate and enjoy nature. And here it is!

Most days I find the gate open to the garden, another gesture of trust in a community that is not always trusting. Sometimes we are so on edge that we can't relax and find peace in our city. This garden is a place of peace and a reminder to look for the good in daily life, while challenging the evils.

--Bernice

1 Comments:

Blogger Jackie S. said...

Such a tranquil setting -- I'll have to stop by there one of these days!

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home