Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Once in a Lifetime Thrill

I was chuffed to bits, thrilled silly, tickled pink and deeply honored Sunday when carilloneur Jeff Spelman included a "Special for Bernice" on the program at the annual Peach Festival and Carillon Concert at Grace Episcopal Church. The song, unnamed on the program, turned out to be "Yes, We Have No Bananas," an allusion to this blog post from May:

It might be time for a break when on a Saturday the Grace Episcopal Church carilloneur is practicing and you think he is playing, "Yes, We Have No Bananas."

Jeff did an admirable job of rendering this pop song on the historic bells. I wish I had had the foresight to record it, because it really was one of the nicest gestures in my recent life, even better than various mix tapes I have received from friends over the years.

The concert was well-attended by a diverse group of people who enjoyed both the peach desserts and the music. A good time was had by all, but I think the best time was had by me!

Thanks, Jeff!

--Bernice

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh Bernice. . . it sure sounds like that was a treat. I am sorry that a commitment elsewhere kept me away this year.

i bet you know all the words. . .

signed,
the man who cuts the grass

10:47 PM  
Blogger Bernice said...

I didn't know very many of the words except the title, so I looked them up. By today's standards, this 1923 hit would most likely be considered derogatory to Greeks. But the catchy tune has turned up quite often since then, as can be seen here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes!_We_Have_No_Bananas

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home