Monday, November 09, 2009

Veterans' Day, Council Agenda on City Web Site

Information on Wednesday's Veterans' Day program is now up on the city web site. The information e-mailed to me initially had no name attached, only a logon that I did not recognize at first glance, and I was not sure it was official.

On his CLIPS blog, Dan took it upon himself to embellish my blog post by saying the move was the first in 83 years, a detail I was unaware of, and that it would be inside the Veterans Center, something else I did not state because the developer's agreement says the Veterans' Center will be turned over to the city only after all the residential condominium units are sold. I wanted to check further on the details.

The agenda for tonight's City Council meeting is on the city web site, but City Council President Rashid Burney also posted the resolutions and ordinances on his web site. One item is a layoff plan with no details made public. This needs to be explained at the agenda-fixing session.

The council is expected to give approval Nov. 17 retroactively for a street closing Wednesday. The flier I received says there will be a "mini-parade" on East Front Street starting at Roosevelt Avenue and proceeding to the Veterans Center at 400 East Front Street. Free music, giveaways and refreshments are also promised, along with performances by the Plainfield High School ROTC and marching band, along with a gun salute tribute, special presentations and prayers.

Tonight's meeting is 7:30 p.m. in City Hall Library, 515 Watchung Ave. The regular meeting is 8 p.m. Nov. 17 in Municipal Court, 325 Watchung Ave.

--Bernice Paglia

3 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Everyone loves a parade...I always feel bad that I have to work and I am never able to attend Veteran's Day Parades. I do have to take a day off one year so I can see my father march in his back home...

4:50 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

A double apology, Bernice. First, for adding the number of years of outdoor observances. (It was a factoid from a post I did on the history of the War Memorial -- see here -- http://ptoday.blogspot.com/2007/05/memorial-day-iii-plainfields-war.html)

Secondly, relying on my memory, I got it wrong by one year. The Memorial was supposed to be dedicated on Armistice Day 1926 (which would have made it 83 years), but the dedication was delayed a year owing to a brouhaha that broke out over the inscription selected by the minister of Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church, on whose land the memorial stands.

Will try to curb my enthusiasm in the future.

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only hope they remember the reason for the day and pause in the festivities at 11 for the traditional moment of silence.

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home