Monday, January 25, 2010

BOE Meeting Tonight

I have tried to steer clear of the school district controversies over personnel, in part because reporter Mark Spivey has done a great job of covering the issues and in part because of the extremely high emotion reflected on a local forum. Some posters seem to be out for blood and are demanding allegiance from others. I will probably get in trouble even for saying that, but the level of vitriol is alarming to me and I don't want to get in the crosshairs.

People are trying to guess what will happen at the meeting tonight. It is 6 p.m. in the Administration Building at 1200 Myrtle Avenue. I don't think enough time has elapsed for a report to be completed by the state Department of Education's Office of Fiscal Accountability and Compliance. That is what I am waiting for. A past OFAC report on Plainfield was very thorough, although it did not sit well with school officials and the district appealed the findings.

Sooner or later there must be a bottom line to the personnel controversies. Maybe it will be revealed tonight or maybe not. Some are hoping for an even bigger bombshell. My concern is that the filing date for the April school board election is now just five weeks away and the personnel issues, while extremely important, should not be the only litmus test for candidacy. Pumping up an issue is a strategy that has been employed in the past to create buzz on the way to the polls.

By this time Tuesday, the story of tonight's meeting will be out, for better or worse. Whether you go to the meeting or stay home, you will know the nature of the meeting. If you do go, pay close attention - to everything!

--Bernice

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you, Bernice. I depend on Mark's dispassionate reporting on the situation rather than the "all caps" screaming and negativity I see on some of the local forums. The emotions run so high and the rage is almost palpable. I understand the concerns over the district issues, but this screaming and these attacks are not helpful. I will be looking carefully at how the candidates behave and respond. A school board has got to be able to work together to solve the issues of the district. I will be looking for individuals who understand the role of a school board member.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home