Saturday, August 09, 2008

Beware of "Tagged"

A person named Simone has sent multiple messages to Plaintalker regarding the networking site "Tagged." The first time this happened, I tracked her down by phone at the school where she worked and told her to cut it out. She apologized and I thought that was the end of it. But recently I received four more "Tagged" e-mails at the Plaintalker address. I don't know where to reach her now, but if and when I do, she is going to hear it from me!

According to Wikipedia, Tagged is a phishing site, meaning they are trying to get your information for their own purposes. By answering, you may be opening your address book to who knows who. Simone apparently found that out, but the trouble continues.

Here's one take on Tagged, with some positive but mostly negative responses.

Now somebody named Albert has got my name on another account. The thing is, when you click to make a response, you don't get a link to the person who supposedly Tagged you, just a link to Tagged.

Has anyone else had any experiences with this company?

I joined LinkedIn at my daughter's urging and soon found a bunch of people in journalism who wanted to connect. In my case, it's sort of water over the dam, but I can see why younger journos find it useful. At least LinkedIn is not going through your pockets to see all your stuff as Tagged seems to do.

And to Simone and Albert, I say, keep your stupidity to yourself, please. Take me out of your address book, if I was ever in there, and bug off.

--Bernice Paglia

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bernice.

Looking at the site you pointed us to, it appears that this company is sending emails "on behalf of" people, to entice the receiver to respond, and obviously give information.

So, it may be Simone and Albert aren't personally sending the invites (but then they could be).

Or it could be Simone and Albert went to a site that gathered information from their computer (like their address book), and used that info to send spam.

People should be aware ... ANY site you go to can, upon your entry to the site's URL, "attach" programs to your computer or literally view everything on your hard drive, unless you have software that blocks that activity.

Many what most would consider legitimate sites can put trojans on your computer, to monitor your activity (all in the name of marketing research).

It's all about collecting information. The most benign want your age, because then they can target you for certain products. The bad guys want you to tell them everything!

Olive

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Water under the ...... Come on Bernice, get back into the fray, make a couple of $$ and help out the Courier, PLEASE !

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home