Thursday, June 04, 2009

A Visit to the Shakespeare Garden

The Shakespeare Garden in Cedar Brook Park is one of Plainfield's gems. Devoted volunteers keep it looking lovely. It is coming up on its peak season, so try to pay a visit soon.

Peony beds feature these showy beauties.

Singly or cascading all over a bush, these pink roses delight the eye.

Blossoms may be tall, low or in the middle as the display varies along the fence.

Formal beds lend symmetry to the landscaping.

My neighbor and I did not know the names of all the plants, but we enjoyed the sight and smell of them. It is a pleasant escape from the cares of the world to walk around this garden and admire Mother Nature's creations.
--Bernice Paglia

4 Comments:

Anonymous Reena Davis said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Steve Kilduff said...

My wife and visited the garden two Saturday's ago, and it is indeed lovely, but we also wished there was a way to identify the plants.

I understand that tagging them would cost money and be subject to vandalism, but does a plan exist that identifies the plantings? Can it be downloaded, or gotten with a SSAE?

10:36 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

It is a beautiful asset in our city. I have actually convinced people who were shocked that I suggest they visit Plainfield to visit CedarBrook just to see that garden. They were truly suprised and enjoyed it as much as I have.

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I confess: I have enjoyed the Shakespeare garden in a different way than most Plainfield residents. Every once in a great while...say once a year...I find myself in the kitchen cooking and I realize the recipe I'm in the midst of calls for an herb that's not on my shelf. What to do?

I suppose I could go to the store and buy a pile of overpriced dried leaves of which I would use just a smidgen. Instead, I think of the offering of the garden in the park. I get on my coat and go to the home of parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme and pluck just a few leaves for my winter stew.

Delicious. Thank you.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home