Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Yum, It's Almost Wednesday

A new restaurant, The Family Soul Spot, opened last week on my block at Park & Seventh. It features traditional favorites such as fried whiting, chopped BBQ, smothered pork chops and sides of collard greens, yams, string beans and macaroni and cheese.

I found myself dropping in often for some of its tasty specialties. In our household, we seldom cook meat, and vegetables tend to be blanched, steamed or lightly sauteed, with little or no seasoning (thanks to a late '60s-early '70s foray into spartan vegetarianism - for years, we never even had salt or pepper in the house). The wonderful panoply of flavorings in soul food, so close at hand, became an irresistible temptation.

But after Sunday's take-out dinner, I had to drop back to the usual at home, because the restaurant would not be open again until Wednesday.
The owner wants to wait a while before doing an interview for Plaintalker. But they are there, and they are dishing up some really, really good food. I ordered the fried whiting with collards and yams Sunday before I realized there was a special of the day, pot roast and mashed potatoes, a family favorite of my childhood. Stop in at 108 East Seventh Street and check out the menu and daily specials. No steamed broccoli here.
--Bernice

12 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Now I know what I am doing for dinner Thursday night !!!

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its Wednesday! And its only 10AM and I am hungry!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Colleen Gibney said...

We've been peeking in the windows as it opened, and can't wait to try it!

The vibrant Park Avenue 'restaurant row' always interests my out-of-town guests---I wish we knew how to promote it better as a city.

10:30 AM  
Blogger RASRAHMATAZ said...

Thanks Bernice I was looking at this place the other day. I will surely stop in. Fried Whiting is my FAVORITE!!!

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Colleen, Why not ask Dave Brown or Jaques how you can help? Nothing like community involvement to make a great community! Good luck and I will do the same.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Colleen Gibney said...

To Anonymous--I look forward to having time to do that, as I work in economic development in NYC, but as a more-than full-time commuter with a toddler, I'm not able to make project-level commitments that would require meetings.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for a place that hits the spot and cooking like when momma cooked. Well look no further, this place will make your tummy happy

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Jeff said...

I stopped in for dinner last night on my way home from the shop. I was amazed! The fried whiting is fresh, not frozen. Flaky filet with a delicious coating that allowed you to taste the fish. Fresh collards, not canned or frozen. (if they were, I want the brand!) Home made mac and cheese that I could have enjoyed a double portion of. YUM!!! Corn bread was so so. Sorry, but I am picky with cornbread. Over all, its a home run! I will be back. And the ladies are very friendly too!

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been a Fan of The owners cooking for over 13 years! I'm very pleased to know she finally opened her restaurant, so others are afforded the same opportunity as I have & that is the Much blessings of Excellent food! From the potatoe salad, Mac & cheese. Yes the collard greens OMG! I can go on and on about how Yummy the food is. Once you've tasted Food from "The Family Soul Spot" I assure you, you'd find yourself praying the doors would hurry up & open just so you could get a smell of the food that your stomach will be enjoying!

11:19 AM  
Anonymous zykiasgran said...

can't wait to get to this spot.....just reading the reviews and my mouth is watering.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Debra said...

Well , this was my first time eating here. And i was amazed its remind me of the way my Mama cooked. i missed that. Thank you for being here and keep my memory of my mama.

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the food was mouth watering. i could not wait to get to the house to eat it. It remind me of my Mama cooking,it brought tear to my eyes. thank you for wondering meal. I will be there on Wednesday.

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home