Monday, February 02, 2009

Too Much News

Monday's City Council meeting was chock-full of issues, too many to report on even if I stay up all night.

Therefore I will mention a couple and hope that other bloggers or later posts here will fill in the gaps.

The new calendar was amended, but due to the addition of "conference meetings" and four agenda sessions at various schools, the bottom line of where to be when was not evident.

Budget issues and opportunities for extra money are up in the air, what with stimulus packages and pension deferral plans unresolved. Part of the problem appears to be how to compete at the county and state level for new-found funding sources.

At least one speaker found the opportunity to get infusion money and then defer responsibility to pay it back just the same as running up credit card debt and believing in other pie-in-the-sky schemes that got us into the present mess.

These are the kind of dilemmas that have me dropping back to simple endeavours such as constructing "bacon mats," a most rewarding treat achieved by weaving pieces of bacon like old-fashioned pot holders into squares that can then be cooked and used for the basis of egg-and-bacon sandwiches or other treats. I take three slices of bacon, cut them in half, then use kitchen scissors to cut each slice lengthwise. On a piece of waxed paper, I weave the pieces under and over into a mat. Then it is fried to make a lovely sandwich-sized blocks for further innovation.

So how did we get from politics to bacon mats? I don't know. But nor do I care in these confusing times.

--Bernice Paglia

5 Comments:

Blogger olddoc said...

After last night's meeting I could use a bacon mat.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Colleen Gibney said...

Bernice--I am fascinated by the bacon mat concept, and given the husband's love of bacon, I think I know what to make for Valentine's Day brunch now!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Jackie S. said...

The bacon mats sound like something I must make! I prefer bacon mats to politics any day. Since I didn't want to put this comment on a politics entry, bacon mats it is.

I have a question and a comment, too.

Have you noticed the disappearance of Courier News honor boxes in town? There used to be two right by the North Street side of the train station (one on Gavett Place, the other right in front of the station). You can tell in this photo from my blog that they're gone. What's up with that? Stolen or removed by CN?

My other comment is that I'm thinking of making a site called "Sidewalks of Death" or "Sidewalks of Shame" about Plainfield sidewalks not cleared of ice and snow. As a pedestrian in town, it's a serious problem for me!

I enjoy your blog so much -- love to keep up on the Plainfield politics and such, plus your Mousie and other tidbits are a delight!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Bernice said...

The Courier News and all Gannett newspapers are undergoing lots of changes. See Gannett Blog to read bout them. They just outsourced home delivery and maybe it's too expensive to have people stock those boxes.
I have also posted Sidewalks of Shame. Most recently, there are curbs full of ice with nowhere to step off.
A question for you: Are you Jackie of Quirky Musings? I loved that blog and will try to check your new ones.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Jackie S. said...

Why, yes I am although I haven't been keeping up the Quirky Musings per se. I've pretty much added the Quirky Musings (and photo) content onto my TV blog as the readers enjoy it and it's easier to do some off TV topic posting than to keep up with a bunch of blogs. I'm surprised that you knew QM. I freelance for a few TV paid writing gigs, but the Plainfield photos and tales are on the TV blog.

I have my blog readers following the exploits of a feral cat who roams the roofs of the buildings across from the Plainfield Train Station. I named the cat "Roofus."

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home