Monday, December 07, 2009

Bob Ferraro Passes

Word has reached Plaintalker that Bob Ferraro has died.

Bob was an indefatigable citizen watchdog for many decades and served the city as a councilman. He ran for mayor several times as well.

Bob spent many days and nights patrolling the city and talking with residents about their concerns. His blue van was his trademark as a citizen activist.

He advocated for the reopening of Muhlenberg Regional Medical Center, noting his life was saved there when he suffered a stroke. Since the hospital's closing, patients must travel many miles more out of the city for aid.

Most recently, he retired from employment with the Plainfield Municipal Utilities Authority and ran for mayor in the June 2009 primary.

Besides his civic activities, Bob was known as a singer and also as having provided services such as airport runs and personal shopping with his well-known van. He was a foster father to many and used his experience as a former police officer to fight crime in the community.

Condolences to his family and his many friends in Plainfield.

--Bernice

6 Comments:

Blogger Maria Pellum, Plainfield Resident said...

How sad to learn of his passing. I didn't know Bob very well, but the times we talked he was always a charming man and full of stories and local wisdom which he didn't mind sharing with a total stranger.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Raquel Horn said...

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of Bob Ferrarro. This is definitely a lost for Plainfield. I recall sitting at the train station years ago one night waiting for my husband to come home. Bob thought I was stranded and offered me assistance. He didn't know me, but that's the kind of person he was. My condolences to the Ferraro family...

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob's Karaoke "Elvis" impression at Jade Isle--a must-see! Rest in peace, Bob.

Rebecca

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having seen Bob's picture on Don Damon's site, I thought he looked familiar. I'm not from Plainfield, but I read your good Plainfield blogs.

I ocassionally saw Bob at different establishments singing. He had a good voice, but what I remember most about him was how genuinely friendly he was. He always had a kind word. I'm sure he will be sorely missed.

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Nimrod Webb said...

Bob not only felt passionately about Plainfield politics but truly cared for the people that live here. He had a vast knowledge of the RMS Titanic and was on the one of the ships that brought up artifacts from the wreckage. He was willing to go out of his way to help someone even when he was busy himself. I am truly honored to have called him my friend and he will be dearly missed.
Nimrod Webb

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob was a true Plainfielder and a great neighbor. He was passionate about people and was always available to lend a hand or a word of advice. He told great stories and had the gift of gab...being around Bob was never boring. You will be missed Bob. RIP.

Lilas Borsa Donahue

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home