Sunday, May 10, 2009

More Power to M.PoWer

My neighbor and I enjoyed a first-class performance today of Lorraine Hansberry's play, "A Raisin the Sun," right here in Plainfield, within walking distance of our apartment building.

The audience at the YWCA was more than appreciative, giving a standing ovation to the cast at the end.

For us seniors, to have such a theater experience for $10 was nothing short of a miracle, when NYC prices are nearly ten times that amount.

Big ups (as they say) to all who made this theater event possible. For younger attendees, it was no doubt a glimpse into the mid-20th century struggle for housing equality that in some places continues today.

Many of the performers are local talent, which gives cachet to the Queen City as a proving ground for theatrical excellence.

Thanks to all for a wonderful afternoon and again to my neighbor, who is always willing to explore the interesting things about Plainfield.

--Bernice Paglia

4 Comments:

Blogger olddoc said...

The old Parrish Players and other amateur/semi-professional groups that abounded in the vicinity were a very positive cultural element in the area in the 70&80s. How many still exist?

9:07 PM  
Blogger RASRAHMATAZ said...

I went to the Saturday afternoon show with my daughter and the play was BRILLIANT. I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to many more!!!

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Bernice,

I went to the Saturday evening performance--it was great. Hansberry is one of my heroes--progressive, fearless, and brave in the face of devastating illness. I am teaching her political essays in one of my African American literature classes this fall.

One of my favorite lines from Raisin--Asagai's words to Beneatha as he leaves: "Never be afraid to sit a while and think."

Words of wisdom for us all, I'd say.

Rebecca

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home