Friday, May 08, 2009

Taming the Boxwood

The Man Who Cuts the Grass at Grace Episcopal Church gave me a thrill by letting me use a gas-powered hedge cutter to trim the boxwood hedge Friday.

I am more used to employing the "singing shears" hand tool to trim my topiary basket, but the mighty hedge cutter made short work of the excess foliage on the boxwood and made a lot of impressive noise in the bargain.

I had wandered across the street with my Wilkinson Sword Blade swoe to help with the weeding, when we took a closer look at the hedge and its untidy look. At home, I only have an electric hedge trimmer and obviously spanning East Seventh Street with extension cords was not a good plan.

Yardwork mavens will appreciate the scenario of having the right tool for the job, even if the tool wielder is an old lady. All others can just drop back to watching American Idol or second-guessing the mayoral race. The thing about yardwork is, if you really get off on it, there will be more to do in about a week.

--Bernice Paglia

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So much for Going Green. More carbon to inhale, and fewer calories burnt.

GB

5:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bernice,

You are braver than me! I am still fighting Edgar for using a gas mower but I sort of envy him when he goes around with his power edger after cutting the grass in less than an hour.

As for the "old lady" tool wielder? I don't see her, what I see is an energetic woman who is not afraid to try new things!

Maria

6:44 AM  
Blogger Bernice said...

To GB: True, but I did do the initial shaping-up with manual hedge clippers, I don't drive a car and the quick trim produced less wear and tear on the old bod. Also, given the traffic on East Seventh Street, do you really think a few minutes of gas-powered hedge trimming will add to global warming? A police officer was idling in a patrol car for quite a while right in front of the church, with a thousand percent more emissions. But thanks for the awareness.

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use only recycled soybean oil from my solar powered deep fryer in my trimmer. (NOT!)

Signed,
The Man Who Cuts the Grass

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bernice,


Just to keep you [and me] humble. No malice meant. I am totally green except for being an Air Condition Gypsy, and love my microwave, and a hot shower is great, and then there is ....

GB

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you don't give up blogging for shearing (or sheering?)

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home